Allergies in Pets (Part 2) ..
In Part 1 of this post, we discussed some of the reasons and conditions of allergies.
Principal Natural Solutions
- Orthomolecular therapy, topical decontamination with frequent hypo-allergenic shampooing and conditioning, omega-3 fatty acids, natural diet
Supporting Natural Solutions
- Natural diet, digestive enzymes, antioxidants, MSM, proanthocyanidins, herbal therapies including the topically applied herbs aloe, witch hazel, liquorice, Oregon grape, peppermint, chamomile, calendula, juniper, lavender, rose bark, uva ursi; and the oral herbs alfalfa, aloe Vera, burdock root, dandelion, Echinacea, feverfew, garlic, German chamomile, Ginkgo biloba, goldenseal, liquorice root, nettle, red clover, Oregon grape, yarrow and yellow dock
Herbal Blends, Oils & Supplements
Start by switching your fur kid to natural raw cuisine for a minimum period of 8 to 12 weeks (3 months or 90 days) based on our Hypo-Allergenic Complete Meals. This is due to the skin taking at least 90 days to recover and / or regenerate. If the condition is atopic dermatitis, we also recommend supplementing with a non-animal Omega 3 and 6 oil supplement in the diet at the same time.
For supplemental herbal approach, you should consider the our Skin Itch Relief Support Blend. The Skin Itch Relief Blend is used to relieve all types of allergic dermatitis, using 100% natural herbal blend that you mix in with the food. The Skin Itch Relief Blend contains Chamomile flowers, Burdock root, Nettle and Garlic. For long term results, it combines particularly well with our Liver and Blood Tonic Support Blend. You can substitute the Omega requirements using sardines and use the herbs as your primary therapy.
For those pet parents that do not subscribe to the use of Canola Oil, we also offer the Rooibos Aromatics Rooibos & Chamomile Infused Oil as an alternative oil. Again, you can supplement with fresh frozen sardines and our Skin Itch Relief Blend.
These can be used in conjunction with conventional therapies. The natural treatments are widely used with variable success but have not been thoroughly investigated and proven at this time.
Although supplements can be a confusing topic for many pet parents, most dog owners have heard of the benefits of feeding fish oils and/or fresh fish. There are however, a variety of plant and vegetable oils that you can also use to your dog’s benefit, each with different actions and benefits. Once such is Coconut Oil.
The benefits of coconut oil come from the type of fats it is made of. Coconut oil is almost exclusively (more than 90%) saturated fat and is one of the few foods that can be classified as a "superfood". I know what you're thinking, "Isn't fat bad for you?". In this case no. There are two groups of fats: saturated fats and unsaturated and within each group are several more types of fats. It can get a little confusing, for solid information all about fats, WEBMD has some good information. Some of the benefits are:
- Assist to clear up eczema;
- Aids flea allergies, contact dermatitis and itchy skin;
- Minimizes doggy odour if you are not feeding on raw;
- Reduces allergic reactions;
- Creates sleek and glossy coats;
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections;
- When applied topically coconut oil promotes wound healing;
- Also can help with hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings.
You can use coconut oil daily in your fur kids diet and your own.
Additional Articles and Videos
Good reference articles & videos further reading available at:
- Dr. Jean Dodd, Coconut Oil: The good saturated fat (Dr Dodds)
- Natural Health Bible for Dogs & Cats, by Dr. Shawn Messonnier (Amazon)
- Diet and Skin Disease in Dogs and Cats by Tim Watson from the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, Waltham-on-the-Wolds, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, UK (Nutrition.Org)
- Understanding Canine Allergies (Whole Dog Journal)
- Dr. Becker, Allergies In Pets (Dr Becker)
- Dr. Becker, Allergic Dermatitis: The #1 Sign Your Pet Has Allergies - And What to Do About It (Mercola)
- Dog Skin Allergies & How To Deal with Them (Organic Pet)
- Dr. Becker, Help Your Dog Overcome These 3 Common Allergies... (Mercola)
- Itchy Skin Wins Big, A Mystery to Vets (Dogs Naturally Magazine)
- Dr. Becker, Is Your Dog Chronically Itchy or Smelly? Could Be This…(Mercola)
- Dr. Becker, Could This Natural Remedy Relieve Your Dog's Itching and Scratching? (Mercola)
- Dr. Jean Dodd, Food Sensitivity vs. Food Allergy: Is it not really just the same thing?, (Dr Dodds)
- Canine Atopic Dermatitis: New Targets, New Therapies, by Douglas J. DeBoer from the Department of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706 (Nutrition.Org)
- Clark, W.R., Hypersensitivity and Allergy, in At War Within: The double edged sword of immunity, 1995, New York, Oxford University Press (Amazon)
- Dr Karen Becker provides An Overview of Pet Allergies (YouTube)
- Raw Diets and Allergic Reactions & Food Intolerances (YouTube)
- Raw Diets and Skin Conditions by Dr Vicky Payne (YouTube)
- Dr. Karen Becker: How to Treat Allergies in Your Pet (YouTube)
- Dr. Karen Becker on how to Treat Your Pet's Environmental Allergies (YouTube)
- Dr. Karen Becker talks about Yeast Infection in Dogs (YouTube)
Products related to this post
R80.00 Ex Tax: R69.57Add to Cart
R140.00 Ex Tax: R121.74Add to Cart
R220.00 Ex Tax: R191.30Pre-Order
R410.00 Ex Tax: R356.52Pre-Order
R254.00 Ex Tax: R220.87Pre-Order
R225.00 Ex Tax: R195.65Add to Cart